Business process management has always been one of those notions that sound great in words, but cause lots of troubles in practice. This generally makes sense that proper documentation, analysis, and management of the entire enterprise make its inner processes more efficient and effective. But some companies look at BPM as if it were their “old college try”: they hurry to implement the chosen solution as soon as possible, without proper preliminary arrangements. As a result they arrive at hardly noticeable – or no results at all.
Therefore, it is very important to take a closer look at the very notion of BPM software and find out how to choose and implement the systems of the kind in the most efficient way. Besides, one should remember that business process management products are shifting across the years, and the systems of the new generation have become more functional and powerful. Modern enterprises are driven by the need for efficiency, speed, and agility like never before; therefore they are applying to BPM now as if it were the key driver of possible digital transformation. This tendency is described in the article in Network World, a popular web-based media for IT executives.
Fundamentals of BPM Software
It is impossible to define this term without talking about business processes themselves. These are the basic activities involving certain numbers of employees and resources and bringing about concrete results for the company or its clients. Ideally, business processes must lead to positive outcomes, delivering value for the whole enterprise. Though, in some cases, their impact is negative.
Using BPM tools, companies get a unique opportunity to visually model the flows of activity and information within the enterprise. This flowchart can be used afterwards in the prospect of creating specific rules for each of the organization’s processes. For instance, you can predetermine who of your stuff will perform certain missions or which department should be informed at a given milestone. All these regulations will help you manage the company’s inner processes to maximum effect.
Besides, a reliable BPM system will let you monitor every business process and control its improvement. You can study the benefits of such solutions in the context of bpm’online, a cloud-based platform, which connects the dots between marketing, sales, and customer service. Read about the distinctive features of this BPM software at https://www.bpmonline.com.
Before You Plunge Into Business Process Management
The platforms of the kind enhance the overall efficiency of the company. They elevate customer service to higher standards, increase the level of customer satisfaction, remove unnecessary steps in the enterprise performance, and thus boost revenue. Nevertheless, before applying to such solutions, you should think over the following questions:
- What are the objectives of BPM software implementation?
Answer to yourself what problems you are going to solve. Make sure the chosen business process management software is the best solution for your company at the present moment. If you cannot define the goals you want to reach with this product, then you are going to plough the sand. Single your aims and it’ll be much easier for you to plan further actions.
- How will the new platform fit into your organization’s life?
In order to answer this question, you should gain an insight into your business processes. Find out, whether they are data-centric. Are they in need of integrations? Or, maybe, the chosen BPM software will be used more for modeling your workflows? Besides, you should think about scalability and make sure that the system will integrate with other platforms you are currently using.
- Is your organization ready for process automation?
Talk to the members of your team about the changes you’re going to make. Ask their opinion about BPM and CRM. Discuss with the stuff how the new software will affect their routine work. Assign a process manager and ask him to work out a communication plan so that its onboarding could be as smooth as possible. Make sure that all the questions and concerns have a platform for being discussed and resolved.
How to Choose a BPM Solution
When you have answered all the above-mentioned questions, you will be ready to get down to the choice of the most suitable platform. Actually, the process of searching for the necessary solution and testing out different variants can linger on and take up much of the company’s resources. Therefore, it is important to prepare for this procedure beforehand and decide on what aspects of BPM software to take into account. We’ve prepared the list of essential factors to be considered in order to make the right decision:
- Customer references. Take time to study customer reviews and get assured that all the clients are satisfied with the vendor’s product. Find out whether they’ve actually purchased this platform. Get as much information on the system’s distinctive features, advantages, and disadvantages as possible.
- Your second step is to test the vendor’s support system. Make sure that they are ready to respond quickly to the customers’ requests. Are their responses complete and comprehensive? Do they do their best to eliminate possible problems? It is essential that the answers to these questions are positive.
- Technical resources. Here you should look at learning materials provided by the vendor. Study knowledge bases, documentation, and so on. Make sure you have all the materials you need to educate yourself and your stuff in order to get the most out of the new BPM software.
- Advisory capability. Find out whether the platform developer understands your business situation and the industry’s distinctive features in general. Make sure he wants to become your long-term partner rather than just to sell the product. If the vendor offers you not only software specs, but certain guidance, you will have a better chance for bridging over whatever difficulties lie ahead.
- Development experience. Find out how long this company has been on the market. Get assured it has a solid experience in developing and improving its platforms. It is unwise to entrust your business process management to a fly-by-night organization, which cannot offer you anything but sheer promises.